Sunday, March 29, 2015

"So, You're An Author... Now What!" - The Beginning of the UFG

This year so far has been one hill after another, and though I'm still climbing I can see the summit... and it's going to be spectacular!

Last year changed my life, serious. For a long time I did things on my own. With a small press publisher I really needed to get myself out there and learn the game. I dealt with both triumphs and failures. I could write a complete book on all the things I tried, "SO, YOU'RE AN AUTHOR... NOW WHAT!" I didn't know many others like me, struggling as I was, to get their book out and into readers' hands. I needed to find others who understood what it takes to be an author, the hellfire of editing, the late night revisions and the sleepless early mornings. I knew these people existed I just couldn't find them.

Then, in the randomness of Facebook, I stumbled on a group that was putting together a vendor booth for Salt Lake Comic Con. This was just what I needed. I had done the two previous cons by myself and it nearly killed me. It's so much work. But. I had the experience of doing this before, and thought I would be of value to these people. This would be a great opportunity to meet up with some other local authors, network a bit, and why not... make a friend or two. I had no idea what would come.

The experience was hard, but rewarding.We went to Mordor and back, and the experience bonded us closer than anything could. These authors were trying, as I was, to change the world. The idea of fostering a community of writers and authors resonated with me. I was the cheerleader from the start. And not only did I meet these terrific people, I discovered there were others, several others that had a more global perspective, something I never imagined.

BOOM! COSMIC COLLISION!!  

These were the first threads of the Utah Fantasy Guild, a newly formed organization that just joined the United Authors Association (UAA). What we are trying to do is not only make others improve their writing, but succeed, build confidence in their craft, build relationships within the community, and survive as an author.

I'm more than excited, I'm elated to be voted in as President. And I'm glad to venture through with my comrades-in-arms.I wonder how I got here, but I'm honored to stand shoulder to shoulder with these great people.

Come join the Dark Side... We have Cookies!!!

UFG Join Us!  

No comments: