Monday, September 16, 2013

The Wet Blanket - A Love Story...

People wonder why I don't take my husband to all my GEEKING OUT, like midnight movies and book signings... well, I don't wonder at all. I know perfectly well why I DON'T take him. Heck, I don't even invite him.

My husband Kevin is a constant thinker. His brain is actively working all the time. Many nights he falls asleep on the couch just so the TV can lull him to sleep. So, sometimes he thinks too much.

One of my more recent "Geeking" was STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS. Lots of my friends wanted to go. I bought thirty or more tickets for everyone. I made shirts, my friend Rick made Star Trek communicators... we had a blast.

My husband came, but I didn't sit next to him - not because I didn't like him, but there wasn't a spot, which was fine. He didn't say much after, because I loved it so much, even though I was routing for the bad guy. Our marriage survived it.

Anyway, I watched it again last Friday after I received my pretty new Blue-Ray from Amazon. Sunday morning - nearly 36 hours later - he comes into the kitchen and says to me, "Don't ask where this train of thought came from... But, if Kirk were smarter he wouldn't have detonated the cold fusion device in the volcano, he should have detonated it near the volcano or the side of the volcano and it would have had the same effect. Then Spock wouldn't have been in the volcano in the first place and they wouldn't have to rescue him."

And my reply: "Well, that would have been a boring movie."

He goes on to tell me in detail about some of the flawed physics in the movie, the Enterprise underwater, the Enterprise tumbling through Earth's gravity... I knew he had stewed about this too much, making things logically right in his busy brain. I'm sitting there listening to him all the while thinking... this is a movie. This is fiction.

Kev: "I'm just saying that I don't think Kirk thought this plan all the way through."

Me: "But that would ruin the whole point of the movie."

Kev: "That bad physics makes for good action movies?"

Me: "No. That Kirk saves Spock's life. How could he save Spock's life if he wasn't in the volcano?"

Kev: "It could have happened on the ship later."

Me: "Boring."

Kev: "And this is why I don't write for Hollywood."

...and Kevin... the world is thankful for that!

4 comments:

Sue Johnson said...

Isn't it wonderful when two people who are polar opposites can come to an understanding!

Gallegos Inc. said...

LOOOOVe it!

Rick said...

I made the BLOG! I made the blooooooooooogggggg!!!

And also I, too, am glad Kevin doesn't write for Hollywood. But I still like him. He's like a giant genius, a gentle one. Partly because he's so smart, partly because he's so tall. And partly because to my knowledge he's never torn off anyone's arms and used them for drumsticks.

cani-jo (Candace J. Thomas) said...

Thanks Rick! He hasn't torn them off... yet...