Tuesday, March 2, 2010

...just sleeping... a tribute

(My Mom's Family - Mom, Sharon, Jim, Ed,
My Grandparents Wendall and Marjorie holding Dennis)

My Grandma Carbine's Funeral was really special. Is it strange to say I had a good time? I felt touched at times, the song we sang was BEAUTIFUL and could only have been pulled off because of the angels that sang with us on the back row - NO JOKE! But I'm not a crier. After the service I turned to Kevin and said, "I think I'm broken." All my cousins were crying and I tried, forgive me Grandma, I really tried. I just couldn't be sad.

I personally think Grandma is much happier dead than alive and I can't blame her for that. She was stuck with us for 27 years without Grandpa and I think she was always mad about that. She had a stubbornness about her, which is one reason I think she hung around so long also. I see the same stubbornness in my mother, my brother, and my sister. Not me though, I have the passive "Let's deal with it when it falls" attitude, or more like "When things fall, let's walk around them" attitude. That sounds more like me.

But I did want to share something that I thought was so cute that happened at my Grandma's Viewing.

I took my two girls to see her. I didn't want them at the funeral, I wanted to enjoy myself, is that weird? I thought it was something they should see and remember, like I remember my own Grandpa's viewing when I was seven. Mia really didn't want to go. She was rather spooked and thought it was creepy. She was mad I made her put on a dress and holds a tight grudge at such things, and constantly complained that it wasn't going to be fun because there were no toys there. True there weren't toys there, Thank You Heaven for that!

Julia however thought it was neat. She liked going over to the casket and looking. She's not very morbid and was thinking about it a lot. One of those times I walked over with her and talked to her about it and this is what she said:

Julia: Mom, I think Grandma is sleeping.

Me: No, I don't think she's sleeping. She died. She's living with Heavenly Father now.

Julia: No, I think she's sleeping. We need to wake her up.

Me: No, I don't think we should wake her up.

Julia: Yes, I think I will wake her up.

Then she proceeded to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I thought it was so cute I didn't stop her.

Later on she was shushing Mia in her sassy way saying, "Don't wake Grandma. She's with Heavenly Father."

I think my Grandparents were laughing behind the veil at those two.

3 comments:

Becka Thomas said...

Yes, I'm sure they both thought that was really funny.

I promise you I didn't cry until "Families can be together forever", then I lost it.

...and yes, I'm stubborn and I'll slap the socks off anyone who says I'm not.

Sue Johnson said...

I can hear both of them laughing at funny Julia. I'll bet Grandpa gets such a kick out of her. He always loved the little kids. (And she's SOOO sassy.)

Kesia said...

I love your faith. It inspires me and fills me with hope. I also love your girls, and your posts. You make me smile every time! I love the way you blog. I hope to experience your writing ONE DAY SOON ;)